As part of its environmental solid waste management programs, SM Cares recently launched special recycling booths at two of the country’s largest SM malls. This offers mall-goers a fun and convenient way to dispose of their recyclable plastic bottles and aluminum cans.
Through the reverse vending machine of SM Cares called “Eco Vendo,” the first of its kind in the private sector, SM Mall goers can take advantage of special discounts in exchange for their pet bottles and aluminium cans.
How to Participate?
Simply drop off recyclables in specially designed vending machines located in specific areas in select SM malls.
Mechanics for SM Cares’ Eco-Vendo
- For every 1,000 ml worth of polyethylene terephthalate or PET bottles / aluminum soda cans deposited, the customer can choose one of the following reward discounts: 15% off at SM Skating, or 15% off at SM Bowling. The machine will then print a voucher that the customer can use to redeem their discount.
- Customers can use one discount per transaction, and it must be claimed within 60 days from the date of issuance, from Monday to Thursday in the following branches: SM Megamall, SM North EDSA, and SM Fairview (for SM Bowling); and SM Megamall and SM Mall of Asia (for SM Skating).
- If the recycled items are less than 1000 ml, proceeds will automatically go to SM Cares, which will support its various programs.
Eco Vendo booth locations
SM Cares deployed one Eco Vendo each in SM Mall of Asia and SM Megamall, which will be available from January 20 to April 20, 2023.
- SM Cinema, 3/F Building A, SM Megamall (near Snack Time counter)
- SM Cinema, 2F Entertainment Mall, SM Mall of Asia (near Snack Time counter)
“With the continued degradation of our environment due to the global waste crisis, we need to ramp up our efforts to mitigate it. Every little thing counts,”Engr. Liza Silerio, Program Director for SM Environment
Advantages of SM Cares’ Eco Vendo
Engr. Liza Silerio also stressed the following:
- Through the Reverse Vending Machine project of SM Cares, the SM mall-goers’ proper disposal of even just one plastic bottle already makes a difference.
- By participating in this program, the mall-goers can also avail of the rewards and at the same time, enjoy their right to a healthy environment.
Other sustainability projects of SM Cares
- Trash-To-Cash Market Iindividuals can drop off their recyclable waste such as paper and plastic in exchange for cash)
- Plastic Waste Collection Program in partnership with NGO HOPE (This aims to help redirect plastic waste from ending up in landfills)
- Electroninc Waste Collection Program (Individuals can bring in their old gadgets and other e-waste for proper disposal by accredited hazardous waste collection partners)
These initiatives align with many of the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), including the following:
- SDG 6: Clean Water and Sanitation,
- SDG 11: Sustainable Cities and Communities,
- SDG 12: Responsible Consumption and Production,
- SDG 13: Climate Action,
- SDG 14: Life Below Water
About SM Cares
SM Cares is the corporate social responsibility arm of SM Supermalls, responsible for initiatives that promote sustainability and the development of the community, including programs on Women and Breasfeeding Mothers, Persons with Disabilities, Senior Citizens, and Children and Youth, as well as the Bike-Friendly SM iniative, in addition to its programs on environment.