As part of celebrating the National Disaster Resilience Month, SM Cares held its annual Emergency Preparedness Forum for PWDs and Senior Citizens. More than 700 people attended the said event, held at the SM North Edsa Skydome in Quezon City last July 22, 2022.
The Purpose of the Emergency Preparedness Forum
The aim is to teach these most vulnerable groups how to prepare for and stay resilient in case of emergencies and disasters.
“Being resilient is not just for the young and strong. We should always consider the PWDs and
seniors when creating programs specially on disaster preparedness. That’s why we do this
every year in different venues so we can reach and educate as many people as we can,” said
Engr. Bien Mateo, SM Supermalls SVP for Mall Operations.
The Participants of the Forum:
- Girl Scouts of the Philippines (GSP) as they continue to banner their “always ready” mantra. “We always have to be prepared in everything that we do. Where SM is, Girl Scouts are there, there “hearts and compassion for PWDs and senior citizens with the topic,” said GSP National President Dr. Cristina Lim-Yuson.
- Quezon City Mayor Joy Belmonte also thanked SM Cares for their “hearts and compassion forPWDs and senior citizens” through a video greeting during the forum.
- Joan Cruz-Salcedo from Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (PHIVOLCS) kick-started the event with topic about seismic hazards and its immediate effects. She also explained the different levels of intensity and the right time to evacuate in case of an earthquake.
- Weather Facilities Specialist Adelaida Duran from Philippine weather bureau PAG-ASAdelivered the second session and discussed about flood disaster hazards, and flood mitigation measures that could be taken to lessen the impact of storms such as structural and non-structural methods.
The highlight of the session
- Survival and Disaster Management Expert Dr. Ted Esguerra gave the audience some practical lessons. He taught basic survival tactics designed for people with physical restrictions or impairment.
- Esguerra also conducted earthquake simulation exercises which rocked the crowd with energy and excitement.
The annual Emergency Preparedness Forum is just one of SM Cares’ many initiatives in line with its programs for people with disabilities and the elderly. The forum will also be held in other venues across the country, including SM Legazpi on July 27 and DM Seaside Cebu on August 3. SM Baguio already hosted its own emergency forum last July 13.
This initiative supports the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals, particularly “SDG
10: Reduced Inequalities.”
About SM Cares
SM Cares is the Corporate Social Responsibility arm of SM Prime Holdings, responsible for
programs that support communities and promote social inclusion and care for the environment.
Its advocacies include programs for the following:
- persons with disabilities,
- women & breastfeeding mothers,
- children & youth,
- senior citizens,
- the creation of bike-friendly SM Malls.
To learn more, visit http://www.smsupermalls.com/smcares.