There are different countries that offer online and on-site ESL, IELTS assistance and TESOL certification and I never thought that Philippines would be one them– not until I have learned about JIC English Academy in Baguio City. I had the chance to have a tour in their academy in my Baguio press trip last month.
JIC Baguio is situated at 73 Del Nacia Apt., Upper West Camp 7, Baguio City. Outside, it looks small, but when you enter the property, you will see the buildings with different facilities and dorm as well. They have two main buildings: the PS/IELTS Center and the IB Center.
THE IB (Intensive Basic) CENTER
The PSI Center (Power Speaking -IELTS)
(The two photos above are courtesy of JIC Baguio English Academy)
In my quick tour in their academy, I was really impressed with how the President, Mr. Leo Im and his staff has managed to make JIC Baguio as competitive as the other international schools are concerned.
Here are the different reasons also why JIC Baguio is now considered as a world-class English Academy:
- They have learning facilities like the study area (free from distractions) where the students can have self-study and the CNN room where they can do their research during their vacant time.
2. They have different classrooms suited for different number of students (a cubicle type and medium to large classroom) equipped with the learning materials that they have personally developed.
3. They have one-on-one and group classes handled by professional and certified English teachers who teach American and British conversation classes. The students don’t just learn English, but they also get to meet other foreign students. (80% of the students are Koreans– the rest are Japanese, Taiwanese, Vietnamese, Thais and Chinese)
4. They have amenities like the court where they can play outdoor games and gym where the students can have their daily workout and burn calories.
5. They implement the CHALLENGER PROGRAM which is very effective in enhancing the communication skills of the students. In JIC Baguio, the students will pay P500 if they speak in vernacular. I have adapted this technique in my English classes– everytime my students speak a Filipino/Tagalog word, they have to pay P3.00. I can see that the students are improving and they try to speak English. In less than a week, I have noticed that my students became confident of themselves even if most of the time they are not grammatically correct.
6. They have different type of rooms in the dormitory where the students can stay (single to 4 pax). Each room is already furnished with sofa set and television. It has a kitchen where the students can cook their own food. It also has a refrigerator where you can stock cold drinks and preserved foods. It has single type beds and closet where they can place their clothes.
7. They provide customized classes or courses depending on the students’ needs. After the assessment, the length of the program will be determined. Interesting programs include the following:
a. Working Holiday Program
This is for the students who would like to travel in Australia, Canada and New Zealand and develop their communication skills (speaking and writing) in preparation for employment.
b. Internship Program (Part of the WH Program)
– Barista Program Internship at Cafe Lusso (The students will be equipped with everything they have to learn about coffee and hands-on training).
– Tour Guiding (The students will be trained how to mingle with different nationalities with Tour Guiding essentials and problem-solving skills.
– Volunteer Work (such as medical mission, feeding program, donation events and tree planting)
8. They have a cafeteria that prepares nutritious meals for the students. They have schedule of meals prepared in advance but students can also request their preferred meals.
Here are some photos of our tour in the academy. (Photos are courtesy of JIC Baguio)
Thank you, JIC Baguio for accommodating TBIP. In my next Baguio press trip (probably next year-2019) , I am planning to have a documentary blog/vlog about two topics: how it feels to be a student in JIC (I will attend a class and will live in the dorm) and will teach as well.
For more information about their courses and fees here are their contact details:
JIC Baguio English Academy
73 Del Nacia Apt., Upper West Camp 7, Baguio City
FB page: http://www.facebook.com/baguiojic
Phone Number: +63 74 442 5970 (Main office)
Vice President: +63 936 936 1833
Marketing Consultant: +63 995 463 0730
1 thought on “JIC Baguio- A World-Class English Academy in the Philippines”
Good write-up, I am normal visitor of one’s website, maintain up the nice operate, and It’s going to be a regular visitor for a long time.